Brief: This project involved five light steel structure townhouses, and was a developer property acquisition and redevelopment project. The townhouses are located between Cambie Street and Oak Street, the central area of Vancouver’s west end. It is steps away from Vancouver General Hospital (VGH), and south of Queen Elizabeth Park and VanDusen Botanical Garden. Furthermore, the skytrain station is within a 15-minute walk, so transportation is very convenient. The biggest feat of the project is that it is the first light steel structure constructed in the Great Vancouver area, which has made it an exemplar for innovative design.
Light Steel Structure Townhouse: Light steel structure is a new type of house technology that originated in Australia. Its construction technology gradually evolved from the west’s traditional wood structure. After hundreds of years of development, the structure has outstanding physical properties, space and shape flexibility, provides a variety of mature construction systems, is easy to construct, and is very safe.
Currently, the internationally popular technical parameters of light steel structure are as follows:
- Meets requirements to withstand 9.0 earthquakes;
- Is able to withstand level 12 typhoons in coastal areas and can resist instant level 15 typhoons. Roof trusses, slabs, walls and foundations are reliably and firmly connected by special fittings, which can withstand instant level 15 typhoons;
- The roof can withstand up to 1,500mm snow;
- Meets the requirements of the fire resistance rating of 2.5 h.
Low-level 2.5h (level 2) design standard
High-rise 3h (level 1) design standard
Walls, floors, etc. are constructed with proprietary technology to meet the maximum fire endurance of 3h.
Early Stage Communication: Communicated in detail with our clients about the specific requirements for mechanical engineering in the first phase of the project. In the communication process, our clients expressed their admiration for Maco Construction’s specialties in this area, and were extremely satisfied with Maco Construction’s carefully planned project.
Pre-project survey and preparation:
- While inspecting the physical location, we discovered that there were boulders below the ground that needed to be removed;
- Notification of construction;
- Off-site work;
Construction Plan (First Phase):
- Commenced construction according to the blueprint and the clients’ requests
- Sewage and drainage construction
- Water pipe engineering
- Gas engineering
- Air conditioning system
- Geothermal engineering