Brief: Salt Spring Island is the one of the most well known locations in the BC’s Gulf Islands. The islanders are known for being down-to-earth, environmentally conscious, and having constraint-free lifestyles. The natural beauty and gentle climate of Salt Spring Island, as well as its world-class artistic atmosphere, has made it a popular tourist destination.
This renovation project involved a roof refurbishment of a famous resort in Salt Island. This requires the contractor not only to have adequate construction experience and abilities, but also assesses the contractor’s ability to meet logistic requirements from a distance and with multiple approaches.
Pre-project survey and preparation:
- The location is remote from the headquarters in Vancouver, so it was necessary to plan and arrange the connection between the land route and sea route.
- Due to the small market volume in Salt Island, infrastructure and maintenance projects had to be constructed in the mainland;
- There were no professional construction waste disposal site on the island, so the contractor had to independently dispose all waste while abiding to local regulations;
- The construction could not affect the hotel’s normal business, so it required superior time management and site management skills;
- The project was a field construction, so it was necessary to arrange the accommodation of workers in advance;
- Determined a detailed plan in advance and arranged the specific division for each process according to the client’s requests;
- Prepared the required materials and determined the type and specifications of the materials;
- Organized logistics in advance and arranged garbage trucks to clean up the site waste on the next day;
- 15 workers worked simultaneously; to improve efficiency, workers were divided into groups and were assigned to complete specific tasks;
- On-site construction;
- Client inspection and acceptance;
- Post-construction visit, inspection, and services
- Emergency situations during construction were dealt with immediately;
- Preparation in the early stages of construction is essential;
- The division of labor among workers and the on-site construction management also played an important role in the success of the project.